It is always tough to follow a cartoon, especially one as uniquely compelling as Bambi v Godzilla. So the Indians just played the re-run tonight and lost to the Orioles 10-2.
– The Indians loaded the bases in the 2nd but, as expected, did not score. The game was over a few minutes later.
– Orioles rookie Miguel Gonzalez made only his 3rd career start and the Indians were clearly in awe as they managed but 7 hits.
– Derek Lowe was awful. 3 IP, 7 H, 9 ER, 5 BB, 0 SO.
– Of the 9 original batters and starting pitcher tonight, only 1 (Kipnis) was homegrown (drafted by the Tribe).
– Cabrera and Hannahan homered for the Tribe’s only runs.
– Damon had 3 hits and 1-upped Dewayne Wise with an actual over the rail catch down the LF line. He even showed the ump the ball.
– RP Cody Allen (3-2, 1.87 minors) made his ML debut for the Indians with a scoreless inning. He walked two but punched out Mark Reynolds for his 1st career K. Congratulations.
– Allen was drafted just last year (23rd Round) and began the season in A Ball so his climb through the minors was rapid. He comes from High Point University, home of the Mighty Panthers.
– High Point is perhaps best known as the furniture capital of the World. Before you laugh, it is also the boyhood home of sax great John Coltrane. So there.
– Old friend Jim Thome hit his first HR as an Oriole, a classic Thome drive through the wind into the 2nd deck in right. Always tough to watch but good for him. Number 610 (337 came as an Indian).
– The Indians have 6 games with the Tigers in the next 2 weeks and series with the Red Sox, Angels and Yankees in August. They need to start playing better for any of that to matter.
– The Indians loaded the bases in the 8th inning. BREAKING NEWS: they did not score.