I didn’t know much about John Axford until he joined the Indians. I certainly didn’t know that he has a BA in film, television, and theater from Notre Dame.
Turns out he’s quite the film fan. Today he took to Twitter (he’s @JohnAxford) to say who he thought would win the Oscar in 18 different categories. His picks are:
18. Best Costume Design: The Great Gatsby
17. Best Visual Effects: Gravity
16. Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Dallas Buyers Club
15. Best Editing: Gravity
14. Best Song: Let It Go (from “Frozen”)
13. Best Score: Gravity
12. Best Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki (“Gravity”)
11. Best Documentary Feature: Twenty Feet from Stardom
10. Best Foreign Language Feature: The Great Beauty
9. Best Animated Feature: Frozen
8. Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years A Slave
7. Best Original Screenplay: Spike Jonze (“Her”)
6. Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyongo (“12 Years A Slave”)
5. Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto (“Dallas Buyers Club”)
4. Best Actress: Cate Blanchett (“Blue Jasmine”)
3. Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey
2. Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron (“Gravity”)
1. Best Picture: 12 Years A Slave
I’ll do an update to this post once the Oscars are over, so we can see how accurate he was.
Update: Wow! He got every one of them right.