A few observations from today’s presser. Feel free to throw in yours in the comments below.
1. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a free agent smile so much. Maybe it’s because we Indians fans aren’t used to this kind of thing. Making $14 million a year definitely helps on his end, though.
2. His enthusiasm was infectious. I found myself smiling a lot right along with him. Even though I’m sure a lot of his giddiness was pure adrenaline. If he manages to keep the sunny outlook he displayed today, he immediately becomes a media favorite.
2A. Swisher, Pestano, Kipnis on Twitter: The possibilities are endless.
2B. Decaf might be a bit of a help.
3. My hunch is that he sits fifth in the order on most nights. Santana gets some protection for a change.
4. As a fan, I wish he was a bit forthcoming about his true feelings as an opponent about the roster. He went into full-on teammate mode by pumping up the “greatness” of his new teammates. Even though it would never be said publicly, and in that forum, I wonder where smoke wasn’t actually being blown. I am genuinely curious.
5. Completely forgot that Swisher’s dad and Tito were teammates. That’s one of those cool, “closing-of-the-circle” things.
6. Again, a free agent who looked genuinely excited about coming to the Indians. When was the last time that happened? It’s been a while.
7. Barring injury, I’m guessing .275/ 21 HRs/90 RBIs
8. I, too, am curious about other offers that he may have been looking at, but what the heck. I’m all in with Swish!