The winter meetings are finally underway this week in Nashville. Since we have no baseball to watch during the offseason, we get excited about things like the winter meetings. OMG PEOPLE WILL TALK ABOUT BASEBALL THIS WEEK pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. If you’re a fan of a team that likes to spend money, it can be a very exciting time. If not, you mostly just sit around hoping that you’re team doesn’t completely screw everything up and make you want to cry (for me, this would be the trading of Carlos Santana).
Last spring, I decided to make a game of spring training bingo. I got so sick of hearing the same catch phrases and predictable statements; I figured I might as well make a game out of it. The winter meetings seemed ripe for this kind of joke, so here we are.
Like with the spring game, you can set your card up with five squares across and five down, with a free space in the middle. That means you need 24 things to fill in the rest of your card. Maybe at some point this week one of us at IPL will even help you fill in your card? I know I was guilty of some of the spring ones after I created the bingo card.
1. Puff piece on Nashville and country music.
2. Something about the “risk” connected to Josh Hamilton.
3. The Marlins trade the rest of their 25-man roster.
4. “Francona is working the phones trying to charm players into coming to Cleveland.”
5. Jokes about offseason golf.
6. Talk about the Hall of Fame ballot and PEDs.
7. Someone talking for the 4,000th time about how Shin-Soo Choo is represented by Scott Boras and that he won’t be in Cleveland after 2013.
8. Mention of the elusive “mystery team.”
9. “There is a lot of interest in Grady Sizemore” – Sizemore’s agent.
10. “This deal is close right now.”
11. “Right now, the sides are pretty far apart.”
12. Discussion of the combined staff ERA of Indians starters last season.
13. Something about Chris Perez and the controversy surrounding him during the 2012 season.
14. References to how the Indians are excited about their young core of players.
15. Talk about the Yankees wanting to keep their payroll below $189 million.
16. Something from Antonetti and/or Shapiro about how the Indians have to try and do more on a smaller budget.
17. The Indians need a first baseman, an outfielder, and starting pitching. (You could probably cheat and find about five references to this from me alone in the last week or two).
18. The Dodgers sign a free agent for a seemingly bloated contract. (You could probably have an entire card with just this written in the spaces, and you probably would still hit bingo before the end of the week).
19. Tampa Bay is looking to deal pitching for offense.
20. Scott Boras convinces Mike Ilitch, owner of the Tigers, to sign Rafael Soriano. This is despite the fact that GM Dave Dombrowski already said that he wants to give prospect Bruce Rondon a chance to close with the departure of Jose Valverde.
21. Attempt to rationalize what appears to be an absolutely dreadful free agent signing. (Think mediocre/poor player signed to terrible, bloated contract).
22. Mention of people (GMs or reporters) walking around constantly on the phone talking or texting people.
23. Any Zach Greinke rumor that does not involve the Rangers, Angels, Dodgers, or Nationals. (I’m making this a tough one!)
24. The Indians sign someone for longer than a one-year deal.
So there you have it, my suggestions for a winter meetings bingo card. Feel free to add some of your own in the comments, and have fun playing!
As a completely random bit of crazy info – one of the Rally Cows came from the Apple Barn at Opry Mills Mall, adjacent to the Opryland Hotel in Nashville.