An ace in the hole is usually a good thing. Tonight, not so much as the Tribe lost to Tampa Bay 10-3.
Winners of 6 of the last 8, the Tribe had ace Justin Masterson on the mound with a streak of his own (1.93 ERA his last 6 starts) but the hole came early.
Desmond Jennings singled on Masterson’s first pitch and one batter later Ben Zobrist homered for a 2-0 lead. The Indians tied it in the bottom of the 1st on a DP grounder and balk but the Rays took the lead for good in the 3rd and then buried Masterson in the hole with a 6-run 5th inning. Justin was erratic throughout with 102 pitches (only 57 strikes) in just 4.1 IP.
Of note, Tampa’s Luke Scott ended an 0 for 41 skid with a 2-run bomb that Michael Brantley almost snagged over the wall. Scott is now off the suicide watch.
– Choo continued his hot spell with 2 hits and an RBI
– Brantley singled and now has hits in 38 of the last 41 games
– The Indians renamed Eagle Avenue outside the stadium Larry Doby Way
– Shelley Duncan and his wife welcomed twin boys into the gene pool (William and Walker)
Not So Good
– Hafner had a miserable night
- bases loaded, 0 out DP
- leading off K
- 2 on, 0 out DP
- 2 on, 0 out K