Here are some bits from Spring Training that don’t involve Chris Perez and his oblique!
- Did you see all of the former Indians in camp as special instructors? It’s like a reunion! Obviously Sandy Alomar Jr. is there, along with Kenny Lofton, Carlos Baerga, Jason Bere and Mike Hargrove. Can the Indians just re-sign Lofton to fill in for Sizemore? I don’t even care about the fact that he’s been out of the game for a few years.
- According to Paul Hoynes, if Perez isn’t ready for the start of the season, Vinnie Pestano will start the year as closer. I’m sure he’ll be fine in the role, but the absence of Perez takes a little bit of depth away from the bullpen.
- Ryan Spilborghs spent the off-season working on his ‘stache.
- Carlos Carrasco is now throwing at 60 feet as he recovers from last year’s Tommy John surgery.
- Pitcher Austin Adams has been shut down due to shoulder soreness and will be re-evaluated in a few days. The Indians drafted Adams in the 5th round of the 2009 draft. He spent 2011 pitching with the Akron Aeros where he went 11-10 with a 3.77 ERA and a 1.54 WHIP.
- Asdrubal Cabrera said that he signed for just one year because he (and his agent) and the Indians aren’t “on the same page.” I’m going to go ahead and guess that they may never be on the same page on this one.
- Oh, how I’ve missed Manny Ramirez. He was only in camp for a few hours, but he already mistook Oakland Athletics pitcher Brett Anderson for the video coordinator. I should add that Anderson was in full uniform at the time. Bartolo Colon is also in camp with the Athletics this spring.
- I’ve found some amusement from this new series at Deadspin – taking Jose Canseco’s tweets and turning them into motivational posters. Here’s the most recent one, links to others are at the bottom of the story.
- I participated in the Weekly Wroundtable at Wahoo’s on First. This week’s question – would you rather see young players or veterans get the majority of the playing time. I said that I wanted the person with the best numbers to get the most playing time. For some reason, I feel like I have less patience this year. The person who is playing the best, should be rewarded with the most playing time. While I hope that is one of the young guys, I’m not opposed to someone else getting the playing time.