Did the same Indians team that I watched on Saturday and Sunday really just take both games of a doubleheader against the Twins? Did David Huff and Fausto Carmona actually both look sharp today? Did the monster home run of the night really come from the bat of Lou Marson? Is this honestly the first time since the Indians swept a doubleheader in Minnesota since 1961? I feel like maybe I’ve slid into some kind of different dimension or something! (I also need to stop asking so many questions; I’m starting to sound like the little neighbor girl who asks why my car is blue, and why my dog is brown and white).
I thought that night game may go south after Alexi Casilla made it to second after Austin Kearns bumbled the play in right field. A play like that usually seems to trigger a Carmona meltdown, although he managed to turn things around and allowed just the one run at that point.
Some random thoughts on the day, since I’m tired and my brain isn’t really functioning well due to the large quantities of Benadryl I took:
- Asdrubal Cabrera hit his 17th home run today. His 2011 home run total now almost equals his career home run numbers. Asdrubal hit 18 home runs in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 combined…he’s just one home run away from matching that.
- Speaking of Asdrubal, did you see that he was the first Indians shortstop to start an All Star game since Lou Boudreau in 1948? Wow.
- Huff will get to stay in Cleveland for now – Jeanmar Gomez was sent back to Columbus today.
- Things do not sound positive where Grady Sizemore is concerned. He actually said that this knee feels as bad as the other one did last year – and that was immediately prior to the microfracture surgery. I don’t think he can be counted on to return and contribute in 2011.
- It’s rumored that the Mets are willing to eat Carlos Beltran’s salary if they get top tier prospects in return. This could make things interesting…I know there are one or two teams that were supposedly shying away because Beltran’s salary would put them into luxury tax territory. I heard that one was Philadelphia; I guess the Mets aren’t ruling out a trade within the division.
- Detroit was idle today, so the Indians are back in sole possession of first for the night.
- Maybe the Indians should celebrate Earth Day more often? (The Tribe and Twins wore green hats in game 1 since it was the makeup of the postponed Earth Day match up).